Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A beginning.

Building a collection is the fun part for librarians. I love helping people and I love being a know-it-all but collection building is selfish narcissistic ego boosting Nirvana. I want to hear people say "Wow! You have this! I'd never seen it before. This is great!" I also love digging into new areas of study and finding the core, the classics, the gems. I'm a jazz lover and while researching Latin American Music I discovered Tito Puente. I always knew there was a big band jazz sound in Latin Music that I liked but I was blown away by Tito. He got the very best musicians to play with him so if you like a big band sound with hot pure jazz try Tito Puente.

I just started here at Rogers and barely got in an order at the end of last year. I spent what cash was left on rebuilding the Rock Classics and got halfway through C&W. First thing this year I'm finishing Country & Western and doing a big Latin Music buy. I'll also be building the core collection of Motion Pictures DVD's. For those Rock fans out that drop by, I tried to integrate Rock classics with our DVD collection. Look for the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, the Monterey Pop, and MTV classics. 50's rock were 45's, the sixties and seventies were album rock, but the eighties belonged to MTV. Check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home