Thursday, March 06, 2008

Music Update

Because we have limited space for our music collection, and because we can't find any really good shelving for CD's we are sort of in limbo. (Check out the software collection by the music collection if you want to see an alternative type of CD shelving. Yuck!) I will be making fewer but bigger music buys this year. For my next order I will be looking at soundtracks, both movie soundtracks and Broadway musicals. As I'm discovering, music in movies often gets be-littled or short changed by music critics. I'm finding lots of major movie music composers whose work is not in print. No remastered reprints for giants like Max Steiner and Miklos Rozsa. I haven't given up yet, I haven't exhausted my search tools but it should prove interesting. After that I will be looking at fleshing out Rock, Country, and Latin.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I understand space is an issue. It is hard to get everything that everybody wants and have somewhere to put it. It is after all a library where people go to get books. I appreciate the fact that you see the need for movies and music with HISTORICAL meaning. Too many people just want what is popular now, but the problem is that in 10-20 no one will even know that most of it existed. That is why I would focus on that which is historically relavent. You have done a great job on the movies, by getting those that are in lists of great movies compiled by those who know. You also have a great selection of Oscar winners. Good way to go. With music I would start with the list of 500 Greatest Albums of All Time compiled by Rolling Stone Magazine. Obviously 500 is overboard, but the top 100 would definately be a good start and you are already on your way. I know that you have most of the top ten and a lot of the others. This list takes into account every album from every genre and is compiled based on their influence on later artist and on chart topping ability of the album and songs individually.

Anyway, great job. Keep it up

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home