Thursday, January 26, 2006

I've just been looking my DVD order from last year. I was hired at the end of the budget year and had a frantic month where I had to learn the collection at the same time I was ordering. My DVD order was all over the place. It's a grab bag of classics from silent's like Buster Keaton's the General to more modern movies like John Grishams's Runaway Jury. One of the things I did was buy a lot of MTV type music videos since I was also building the Rock Music Collection on CD and couldn't help noticing that Music videos became an important influence on music of the 80's and 90's. I added MTV video such as Blondie, the Eurythmics, ZZ Top, and Madonna. That got me thinking about other film and television rock and roll that should be in any video/DVD collection. I found the Monterey Pop Festival, Elvis and the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, a Hard Days Night, and Yellow Submarine on DVD. Elvis and the Beatles On the Ed Sullivan Show are especially important events in Rock History. The Monterey Pop Festival like Woodstock was a seminal event in Rock History and I got them for their historical perspective more than their entertainment value.

I'm also added to the Television on DVD collection, Honeymooners, Twilight Zone, I love Lucy, Gilligan's Island. We've already added many of these and I will be adding more seasons to what we already have. Two minor things I did was add some Stand-up Comics and some Musicals. I don't know how popular these two areas will be but they seemed to be things a library AV collection should have.

I guess I'm big in integration. I rebuild the Rock Music to the CD collection so I have to add MTV, and I evaluate the Classic TV collection so I get Children's to add Rocky and Bulwinckle. I mean how can you have a classic collection of film without Bugs Bunny.

I am sort of mad at video companies. I tried to get the classic 2D double feature length Popeyes. I mean they are even on the Library of Congress National Film Registry but they are out of print. It is amazing how much vintage and classic film and TV is out of print at any given time. Makes me want to pull my hair out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home