Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Year in Film

For the last thirteen months I have been trying to build a core collection of classic DVDs. To do this I have been working on three separate concepts. The first was to make sure we had a complete collection of Classic/Academy Award winning motion pictures. Second was to build up specific genres. Third was special collections. I began by purchasing the winners of Oscar winning films and the various lists of "Calssic movie" lists such as the Library of Congress National Registry of films. At the same time I worked on building up specific genres. I have finished building core collections of Horror and Science fiction with Comedy and Westerns currently in the pipeline. About half of the comedies I ordered are out on the shelf. For the most part they are the silents and early classic comedies. The more recent are still in Processing. Westerns are on the ways. Spanish and French are two special collections I have developed. Spanish because of our large Spanish population and French because area French teachers requested it. The Spanish language collection is on the shelf, the French is in the pipeline. Two minor specialized collections are Ballet and Star Trek. Ballet is a right of passage for young girls but the truly great ballet companies rarely make it out this way so I purchased DVD's of the the Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake, Coppelia, La Sylphide, Romeo and Juliet, and Giselle. I also ordered a set of all the Star Trek motion pictures. I am also working on the television show. All three seasons of the original cast are on order and I will be purchasing Star Trek: the Next Generation at the end of this year and the beginning of next year. Classic television shows are another special collection I am working on this year but they should not be on the shelf till the end of the year.

For our Western fans you will have these movies to look forward to:

Hombre
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
True Grit
Little Big Man
Outlaw Josey Wales
Shootist
Miracle Rider (Tom Mix)
My Darling Clementine
King of the Cowboys (Roy Rogers)
Down Mexico Way (Gene Autry)
Duel in the Sun
McLintock!
Fistfull of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home