Monday, May 22, 2006

The Horror is here!

I started off with academy award winners. As a whole they tend to be pretty serious stuff, and sometimes its Hollywood at it's pretentious best. It's often the case that the Oscar winners aren't the movies we remember. So I've been going through classics by Genre and the Horror movies are all showing on the shelves right now. I've been curious about the Val Lewton productions. Most film critics consider them classics. I remember 'Cat People'. I wasn't too impressed at the time but now that I know they were low budget I've been impressed.
The Body Snatcher with Boris Karloff was especially creepy. Don't watch these if you are expecting camp. You won't find screaming damsels falling down to let the ghoul catch them. These are well crafted and suspenseful.

I watched the Haunting last week and it was an excellent little scare also. This week I'll be watching Dead of Night and the 1932 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. The rest of the Horror should be out soon along with Sci-Fi. I know I saw the Ray Harryhausen Sinbad trilogy today so I know they are in the pipeline somewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home