Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Music In April

Due to the oddities of the Blogger program I use, my most recent post on music is dated April 3. This is because I started working on this post on April 3 but left it as a draft until today when I finished and posted it. Since I need to update it, and since I didn't want the update to be buried also I am adding a new post for just five Music CD's.

I've been working on soundtracks, mostly musicals but with a few movie soundtracks thrown in. I have a classical musicians prejudice against movie music since except for the theme song most of the time people only notice movie music when its bad. For example last night I happened to catch a bit of the 2006 Kirsten Dunst version of Marie Antoinette while channel surfing. It was a party scene and something about it seemed off. The sets and costuming were right but it looked like a frat party. Then it hit me the background music was disco-rock music. I heard the music and saw modern people in costume, I lost the illusion the director was trying to create.

However the more I researched movie music the more of it I remembered. I caught myself saying 'Oh yeah, that's right.' King Kong, for example, was a major innovation in the use of soundtrack music to create the mood. So after digging around I found recordings with the music of Alfred Newman 9 Academy Awards with 45 nominations, John Williams 5 and 40, Max Steiner with 3 and 25, Miklos Rozsa 3 and 16, Dimitri Tiomkin with 3 and 14. Bernard Herrmann did the music for Psycho, and seven Orson Welles movies as well as numerous Alfred Hitchcock films. There's Adolph Deuch, FranzWaxman, Wolfgang Korngold, Gerry Goldsmith, Victor Young and Even Aaron Copeland. You may not have heard the names but I promise you you've heard the music.

Anyway five more CD's I bought were:

John Williams Greatest Hits 1969 - 1999 John Williams did Star Wars, ET, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park and a host of others.
Round Up - Dimitri Tiomkin's High Noon, and Alfred Newman's How the West Was Won, among others.
Goldsmith: Patton, Tora! Tora! Tora! - Who can forget the Music from Patton?
Rozsa: QuoVadis, Ben Hur - Miklos Rozsa won an Oscar for Ben Hur and was nominated for Quo Vadis.
Film Music Classics: Newman - Alfred Newman was nominated for an astounding 45 Oscars. Here are two of them All About Eve and the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home