Wednesday, June 16, 2010

June Music

My June music order drifted seriously into Heavy-thrash-grind-death-whatever, but it started with Switched on Bach. Wendy Carlos worked on the development of the Moog Synthesizer and came up with a top selling recording called Switched on Bach. She later worked on the soundtrack of Clockwork Orange. Her interpretations of classical music are one of a kind and completely original, and also out of print so this one is iffy. Maybe we can get Switched on Boxed Set or maybe we can't. I briefly looked at Woodwind music and discovered that Bassoon ensembles are another strange corner of the music world. Peter Schickele of PDQ Bach fame is a bassoon player and composer and he is one of the composer listed on Wanted by the Bassoon Brothers. Then I devolved into the world of Heavy Metal. The Metal musical world has fractured like broken glass. Who Knew? I had to get Scum by Napalm Death. These were the guys that turned Thrash into Grindcore and their musical influences are everywhere. What's Trash and Grindcore? Hmm I'm not terribly sure. Punk beget Thrash which beget GrindCore which fractured into a variety of Heavy Metal sub-genres like Death Metal and as I was perusing the world of Heavy Metal influences I picked up Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast and the Seventh son of a Seventh Son and Judith Priest's British Steel which were two of the primary bands of the "New Wave of British Heavy Metal" and I picked up Metallica's Black Album and Megadeth's Rust in Peace. The American punk rock group Dead Kennedy's slipped in with Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables and I even pushed back to my 70's roots with Uriah Heep's Demon's and Wizards and Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak. I wouldn't have even thought about Thin Lizzy except I saw the buzz about one of today's hot Metal Bands called Mastodon doing the soundtrack for a movie and they listed them as an influence. When I was reading up on Mastodon and I saw the reference to Thin Lizzy it rang a bell I researched them and bought it. I also decided to pick up two of Mastodon's albums Blood Mountain and Crack in the Skye. I know I've been buying a lot of Metal lately but.....

1 Comments:

Blogger Keli said...

My son suggests Apocalyptica, a cello/rock group that has worked with lead singers from Sliptknot, 3 Days Grace, Flyleaf, etc. One of their albums is "Worlds Collide."

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home