Saturday, February 04, 2006

WHAT'S NEXT

My next music buy is Latin. I already have it ready I'm just waiting until I can do it without overloading our technical services people. Other Librarians have things to order also. Latin covers such a wide variety of musical genres that I doubt I can do much except provide a sample of various musical types. I've always liked Jazz so discovering Tito Puente, Tito Rodriguez, and Mario Bauza has been a revelation. I am partictularly interested Mario Bauza and his brother in law Machito since they played with Dizzy Gilespie, Charlie Parker, Buddy Rich and Stan Kenton, just to name a few. There was a lot of crossover between the early bebop jazzers and the Latin jazzers back in the forties and fifties but then Latin music periodically pops up on American Pop charts. There was Rhumba, Mambo, and Cha Cha back in the fifties and sixties followed by Salsa and Meringue. Julio Iglesias and Ricky Martin broke onto American charts fairly recently but generally the current crop of Latin stars such as Daddy Yankee, Juanes, and Shakira haven't quite broken into mainstream USA quite yet. I'll probably be fine tuning this order for a while since a lot of what I originally wanted is out of print and I've learned more since. Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home