Monday, March 27, 2006

The Advocate

Our Young Adult Librarian looks at collection development as being an advocate for teens where as I tend to dig into a subject and learn everything I can about it. She wants to represent those who have no voice while I want to know why I'm putting something in the Library and it's place in our collection. I discovered Tito Puente that way and I went back and listened to Jefferson Airplane and Buddy Holly with a new and open perspective. I'm not saying my way is better. I'm building a collection for the long term while the teen collection has the shelf life of a mayfly. Different problems different solutions.

I've been trying to do a discography of the Rock CD's that I purchased. I've already put up the first installment on a previous post. I'm working on the rest of it now. However it is easy to do a lot of work on this kind of thing for nothing. Tilting at windmills is a occupational hazard with librarians. We can easily spend a lot of time doing something that people never take advantage of. I've planned programs for weeks and spent hours of my time then had no-one attend. We never have enough time but we priortize in a vacuum. Unless something checks out we don't know how we're doing. A business either makes a profit or goes broke but a government agency just goes on and on. That's why librarians count everything.

I think I'll at least finish my Rock discography and if anybody notices I'll keep going. But hey, what's a blog for?

1 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Seeing this list inspired me to see what artists won Grammy Awards in the 80's and some of those named had completely slipped my mind. Remember The Traveling Wilburys which consisted of George Harrison, Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne? Christopher Cross was big in the early 80's. Dire Straits was 80's material too. Wow, that takes me back!
I love the list Matt has compiled and can't wait to see them "in the stacks".

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home