Thursday, October 12, 2006

Year End

Our budget year and calender year are the same but we always have to cut off purchasing a couple of months early to give items time to wander in. Libraries always have problems with back orders and cancelations. Things we thought were ordered get cancelled things we thought were cancelled show up so my October is actually two orders, the October order and funds that were left over. As usual my DVD order was trying to accomplish three separate things, build the Classic Television collection, fill holes in the non-fiction collection, and buy more Chick Flicks.

From the beginning I have been building the Classic Television collection, but for October/November I was a little more systematic. I went back through and looked at ratings and Emmy's starting with the fifties and got through the early sixties. Some of the TV shows from this period I already had but here's what I just picked up:

Rawhide: The complete first season. (Clint Eastwood)
Have Gun will Travel: The complete first season.
Perry Mason: The first season Vol 1.
Beverly Hillbillies Ultimate Collection Vol1
South Park - The complete first season
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season One
I love Lucy - The complete First Season
Best of Jack Benny Show - Volumes 1&2
Dragnet - 5-Disc Set
Wanted: Dead or Alive (Season One) (Steve McQueen)
Maverick TV Favorites
Star Trek: Next Generation Complete Third Season
Star Trek: Next Generation Complete Fourth Season

Of course Star Trek and South Park are not 50's Early 60's but they were popular demand items. Building the Non-Fiction DVD Collection is going to take a while. Building the travel section alone could take the lion's share of the DVD budget if I let it but I did find some Extreme Sport DVD's worth blogging about, White Knuckle Extreme - Higher Ground, Globe World Cup Skateboarding 2003, and Over the Edge - Boards X. I'll know if any of our teens read this blog if they put holds on these items before they make it out on the shelf.

Most of the October DVD "Chick Flicks" order was from AFI's list of the 100 best "Chick Flicks". I've basically finished Classics, Oscar winners, Westerns, Science Fiction, Comedies, French, and Spanish and I've just finished buying most of the Top Grossing films from 2000 to the present but since most of the Cataloguing and Circulation staff have been giving me a hard time I ordered something for the Gals:

Chick Flicks I just ordered:

The Women
Shop Around the Corner
Barefoot in the Park
Funny Girl
Love Story
The Way We Were
Romancing the Stone
Tequila Sunrise
Steel Magnolias
Ghost
Girls Just Want to Have Fun
Footloose
Pretty Woman
Frankie and Johnny
Legends of the Fall
Muriel's Wedding
Bridges of Madison County
Forget Paris
While You Were Sleeping
What Women Want
Hope Floats
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion
UpClose and Personal
Mermaids.

Top Grossing back fill:

Bourne Supremacy
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
Grudge
Signs
A beautiful mind
Sweet Home Alabama
Planet ot the Apes

Classics that recently became available (or that just I remembered to buy):

Bright Eyes (Shirley Temple does 'Good Ship Lollipop')
Little Colonel (Shirley Temple dances up staircase with Bill Robinson)
Mr. Moto Collection - Vol 1
Tarzan Collection Starring Johnny Weissumuller
Charlie Chan Collection - Vol. 1
Used Cars
My Favorite Brunette

And some Guy Stuff because I had to get the sweet taste out of my mouth after buying all those chick flicks.

Sahara (The Bogart Version)
Destination Tokyo
Run Silent Run Deep
Zulu
Alamo (John Wayne!)
Longest Day
Blue Max

1 Comments:

Blogger Rob Finch said...

I can easily understand why Chris would object to my calling Legends of the Fall a "Chick Flick". When ever I'm going through lists of films by genre I'm always finding movies that I don't think belong on that list. (Was Hud a western?) I was looking at a list of the top 100 thrillers and at least a quarter of the films listed were not thrillers. However, Legends of the Fall was on AFI's list of the 'Top 100 Chick Flicks'. I don't just choose blindly, it also got good reviews. Some on the list didn't and I didn't buy them. Whether it is a a "chick flick" or not I think it belongs in the collection.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home