Monday, June 25, 2007

Sign of the Crass

Last week I watched the movie Sign of the Cross. It's an early Cecil B. DeMille talkie. I'm not sure I'd recommend it to just anyone. It was made in 1932 and still shows the influence of silent movies. They were still trying to communicate with lots of posturing and heavy eye contact. It is also pre-Hayes Code so there is some over the top Roman orgy type stuff and the Colosseum shots at the end are truly campy. Overall it is long, slow paced, and preachy. At times I got bored but it was worth the effort for serious film buffs. One of the obscure gem I picked up was the Big Clock. Check this one out if only for Elsa Lancaster as the Ditsy Artist. She steals every scene. But it's a taut thriller and by the end it will have you on the edge of your seat.

On the other hand I caught a little of Take the Lead on cable the other night but I couldn't take it. While I am a little curious about the resurgence of Ballroom dancing, I actually get that part, dancing with your arms around your woman is a far more entertaining way to do it, but I just can't handle RAP. I hate sounding like an old grandma, but damn that's hideous. Music doesn't have to sound ugly. Not that I'm advocating Bachman Turner Overdrive. I mean what can you say about a band that proved that you don't have to be attractive or be able to sing in tune to have a Top 40 Hit. I guess I've been ruined for Pop music ever since I grew up listening to Classical Music. Listening to the best musicians play music composed by geniuses will do that. I was listening to a CD of Rossini Overtures last week and I was amazed at how much of it I hear it all the time, in movies, commercials and cartoons. Everywhere. It's too bad they don't teach music in schools anymore. Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home