Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Christian Anyone?

I went after contemporary Christian music as I would any other genre by going back to the basics. I tried to find the most important artists and work my way forward, except that's not really possible with Christian Rock. Christian Music per se goes back to the very beginnings of western music. All the great classical composers before Beethoven wrote for the Church at one time or another. Bach was a church organist and wrote much of his music for his church. Anyone who's studied American popular music knows that it has its roots firmly planted in spirituals and gospels. Gospel music was a staple of early Country Music and can be heard in the music of Jimmie Rodgers and the Carter family. Rockabilly has the same southern Christian roots and heavily influenced early rock through artists like Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis. Soul, Blues, and Jazz were all heavily influenced early American spirituals and gospel music. But Christian Rock has always been in a separate musical world. The music itself has all of the same major musical influences, (There is Christian rock, grunge, hip-hop, rap, etc.) but there are some Christian Rock groups that consider their music to be a form of ministry while others are just musicians who happen to be Christians. Jugs of Clay for example had some early success on the Billboard top 40 charts until it became known that they were a Christian Band. Then there was a major backlash against them on many college campuses and radio stations. I just completed a Christian music order (but I haven't placed it yet) and it is all recent Billboard top chart material because I had almost no success finding publishers that still had the pioneers of Christian in print so I'm not sure what it will take to build a retrospective collection but I am curious to hear a group called Love Song since they are the ones that started it all but it looks like I will have to wait until I find a publisher who decided to re-publish it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home