Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Fifties Rock

The first Music genre I tackled was Rock and I think they are all in. So in alphabetical order the pre Beatles guys I bought were: Paul Anka, Bill Halley and his Comets, the Crystals, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Eva, Little Richard, Platters, Elvis Presley, and the Shirelles. Before anyone starts flaming me to tell me which classics I forgot, remember that we had a solid collection before I got here so I was filling gaps rather than collection building. Also keep in mind that the Holy Grail for rock musicians up through the early 60's was having a song on the top 40 chart so I was after artists that had Billboard No.1 hits. Since that was the age of the 78 or 45 hit single with a cover I stuck with "the greatest hits of..." or the "Complete Works of..."
Here is a quick annotated list.

Paul Anka 30th anniversary Collection. A major teen idol of the 50's his first hit Diana started a long career that included Put Your Head On My Shoulder and Puppy Love.

Bill Haley and his Comets Rock Around the Clock. After Rock Around the Clock and Shake Rattle and Roll the pop music world would never be the same.

Crystals The Best of the Crystals. Early 60's girl band with He's a Rebel, Da do Ron Ron, Then He Kissed Me.

Buddy Holly Greatest Hits. An innovative performer Buddy Holly and the Crickets was the inspiration for the Beatles. His hits include That'll be the Day, Peggy Sue, and Oh Boy!

Jerry Lee Lewis 18 original Sun Greatest Hits. Rock music personified the 'Killer' produced hits like Whole lot of Shakin' Going On, Greats Balls of Fire, and Breathless.

Little Eva Best of Little Eva. Loco-Motion and Keep Your Hands Off My Baby.

Little Richard The Georgia Peach. One of the most dynamic performers in early Rock & Roll with a long string of hits including Tutti Fruitti, Long Tall Sally, and Good Golly, Miss Molly.

Platters All Time Greatest Hits. Incredible group with 23 top 40 hits, including five gold records: Only You, Great Pretender, My prayer, Twilight Time and Smoke Gets In Your Eyes.

Elvis Presley From Nashville to Memphis and King of Rock and Roll: the Complete 50's Remastered. I think I have the King Covered.

Shirelles 25 All-Time Greatest Hits. Early 60's all Girl band with hits like Will You Love Me Tomorrow, Mama Said and Soldier Boy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home