Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Country Revisited.

I have just begun to blog regularly again. I sort of went into remission for a while because I wasn't sure anyone was out there reading this and if I'm going to blog on the taxpayer's dime I want it to be useful. Libraries always have trouble with feedback. That's why we count everything, the number of people that come into the building, the number times a book checks out, and so forth. It's the only we have of knowing whether what we do works. I was hoping that by blogging, Rogers Library customers would learn a little about WHY I collect the materials that I do. We have mission statements, policies, and guidelines, all of which are published and posted but every Library Mission Statement I ever read sounded dry and vanilla, and ours sounds just like every other public Library mission statement. But I really do collect with a purpose and I am trying to build a specific type of collection.

Last year I started with evaluating and building "core" collections. I went back to roots of a specific collection, identified the classics, and worked my way forward. This year with many collections I will begin to concentrate on the present. Country & Western music is one of those collections. Last year I went back and found Jimmie Rogers, the Carter Family, and Hank Williams. This year I'll looking at the hot tracks and working back. There is a concern. How many of these guys will fade? Was LeAnn Rimes a one hit wonder? Will Sara Evans and Keith Urban have staying power? I don't know but it will interesting to find out.

2 Comments:

Blogger arutky said...

Understand the need to build collections when it comes to music, but why not start with the currently popular artist and build up the libaries collections later. If you looked at the number of items checked out I would venture to say you would see Lee Ann Rimes checked out more often than Jimmie Rodgers - having said that I think the Rogers library has one of the better collections of music available - much better than Bentonville's - there is opportunity though to appeal to a broader audience by having more popular artists and titles - again thanks for all you do your work is greatly appreciated!!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Rob Finch said...

I admit that starting with the "classics" and working my way forward is a little selfish on my part but it helps me learn. I want to know what I'm buying and by building from a historical perspective it helps me understand today's artists better. If someone is compared to Patsy Cline or Ernest Tubbs or if their inspiration was Lefty Frizzel I need to know who these people are. It makes reading reviews and keeping up with who's hot easier. I did notice that I could do better with Country & Western so First in the pipeline for the next budget year is Hot C&W.

Rob Finch

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home