Monday, January 08, 2007

Cartoons

Over the years I've been a huge fan of animation. When I was in high school whenever Walt Disney's Fantasia was showing we would all pile into my car and drive to the theater to see it. I especially love the older pre-television cartoons when production values were higher. One of the things I've done since I've been here is work with the Children's Department to make sure we have a represenative sample of animated films. Last night I watched the three Popeye technicolor two-reelers. The background and sets were fantastic. They are a bit dated but I think these three may be some the best cartoons ever made. I will show all three at different times for our Saturday Matinees this year along with Mickey Mouse and Betty Boop. I need to check up and see if we have a good selection the old Merry Melodies (The precursers to Bugs Bunny). Of course we also have been building up a good collection of classic kids television. Rocky and Bullwinkle had some of the funniest stuff on television.

1 Comments:

Blogger Evan Day...Teen Librarian said...

Hey Robert,

I do like the quality of old "made for theater" cartoons. Glad to see you're here to keep them alive, especially since you can hardly find them anymore on TV, even on cable.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home