Thursday, November 16, 2006

Saturday Matinee

Once more into the breach. I'm going to try to do a year of Saturday Matinees. That is start off with a serial, then a cartoon, then a short feature (or a B feature) the A feature. I'm going to use all material from the 30's to get a feel for the golden age of American Cinema. For my serial I'm using Flash Gordon. For the shorts I'm going with Laurel & Hardy and the Three Stooges. Maybe some Our Gang. Last year we built a pretty good collection of Cartoons so we have some vintage Popeye, Betty Boop, Mickey Mouse, Looney Toons (Merry Melodies), and some Ub Iwerk (Yep. Ub Iwerk. That really was his name!). For the A features I'm going with:

Adventures of Robin Hood Jan. 13
Tarzan the Ape Man Feb. 10
Horse Feathers March 10
Angels with Dirty Faces April 14
King Kong May 12
Thin Man June 9
Charlie Chan in London July 14
Bringing Up Baby August 11
Destry Rides Again September 8
Frankenstein October 13
Topper November 10
Captain Blood December 8

I don't know whether having a family oriented film program will work. It's something I've toyed with before with indifferent results but once more into the breach! I don't really have legitimate B feature material. So maybe I'll do some double features. Horse Feathers, Charlie Chan, and Frankenstein are all fairly short so maybe I'll do doubles on those days.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hugo Sleestak said...

Robert,

I love this idea, and have toyed with doing something similar online on YouTube (omitting the feature, unfortunately, because of online upload limit restrictions), and appearing myself as a kookie host of some sort to segue between the different pieces (which would include intermission concession stand clips too) and also some original animations of my own.

I'm just sad to hear that the response you've gotten in the past has been indifferent. Perhaps we're just so brainwashed into thinking that unless everything is 1) new 2) in colour, 3) completely computer generated, and thus 4) cool, that it's "boring." Heaven forbid that people break out from the pack and do something different.

Best wishes on this project.

michael@michaelfraley.com

6:41 AM  
Blogger All Sides of Life said...

Great idea! I thought you might be interested in a new blog I started, www.allsidesoflife.typepad.com
It focuses on family friendly activities in Northwest Arkansas.

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home